Sometimes purchasing the best CB antenna might be the only difference between having a poor range and long-range communication.
Let me explain!
Most of the CB radios come with 4W power. This means CB radios don’t have much role when it comes to the range. It is the CB antennas which control the reception and transmission of signals. Hence they are responsible for boosting up the performance.
If you’re new to the CB industry, you will face two issues in choosing a good CB antenna.
- Finding the right specifications for your requirement
- Choosing the ONE product among thousands of CB radio antennas.
Worry not, here are our top CB antenna recommendations for different scenarios and uses:
|1||FireStik FL3-B:Best in the Market|
Best suited to your off-road jeeps and trucks, Firestik FL3-B is a great buy for its top-notch performance and durability.
|2||WILSON 305-38: Most Durable|
Don’t worry about smashing this CB radio into tree branches or over bags, it will still be your best friend. This high performing and long-range CB antenna are designed to last long. It’s a great little antenna to improve your CB communication
|3||K40 K30: Best for Pickup Trucks||[su_quoteK 40 K-30 is a highly flexible CB antenna that is best suited for pickup trucks. If you’re good at tuning your device and who are looking for a CB to withstand your offroad speedy trucking, then this is the antenna you should buy.[/su_quote]|
|4||Midland 18-2442: Best for SUVs and Cars|
Easy to install, this strong magnet base CB antenna works great for SUVs and cars. This is the perfect CB radio antenna you can buy for Midland CBs.
|5||TRAM 703-HC: Best for Off Road Use|
Designed for all kinds of CB radios, TRAM 703-HC is a nice CB radio antenna to buy for off-road drives to maximize your communication efficiency.
|6||Cobra CBRHGA 1500: Best for Hilly Areas|
This Cobra CB antenna is one of the best you can buy for hills and mountains. Designed to be the best companion for jeeps and SUVs, this 36″ antenna delivers good SWR rating even at 80 mph.
|7||Solarcon A-99: Best Omni directional|
Solarcon A-99 is for those who’re looking for the best reception and transmission in all directions. This fiberglass antenna is easy to set up and install and offers the very best range you can think of.
Table of Contents
Reasons to buy the Quality CB Radio Antennas
The importance of having a top quality CB radio is a undermined by most people. Let me make it clear once again; you need a good antenna to get the best out of your CB radio. This is true even if you are using one of the best CB radios in the market.
CB antennas basically help the radio for transmission and reception of signals. The major function for which a CB antenna is designed is to deal with the coding and decoding of the radio signals.
But, if you look closely, is that’s all about? Nope!
Here is how CB antennas make your life easier:
1. Better Reception and Transmission of Signals
CB antenna converts the radio frequency signals to electrical signals and also, on the receiving end, it converts electrical signals to radio frequency signals. This is done with the help of a receiver and transmitter. In such a situation, the best quality radio frequency signals are produced only when the length of the antenna and the wavelength of the transmitted signals get accurately matched.
CB antennas could be fixed or mounted on the basis of the nature of the vehicle.
Sticking on to the very basics of the usage of the radio, it is best to use an antenna to enhance the reception and transmission of the radio signals. Without an antenna, there are more chances to destroy the output.
2. Protection of CB Radio
Many of you might not know this; CB antennas protect CB radios from damages.
Therefore, before setting up an SWR (Standing Wave Ratio), every CB radio user should ensure the condition of the CB antenna. A defective antenna not only hinders smooth communication but also destroys the CB radio.
You should also pay the utmost care when a new antenna is purchased and installed.
3. Best quality CB radios are stronger and are best for off-road drives.
7 Best CB Antenna Reviews 2019
Now that we have seen why it is very important to have a high-performance CB antenna, let us find which are the best ones in the market.
We have tested the quality and performance of each CB antennas to come up with this list.
I am sure that our recommendation of the top CB antennas will help both experienced and non-experienced users to select a highly performing CB antenna that suits their need.
Let’s dive in:
1. FireStik FL3-B
- Dimension: 38 x 6 x 6 inches
- Length: 3 Foot (92cm)
- 5/8 wave Rated @ 100 watts
- Material Fiberglass
FireStik FL3-B is one of the best light weighted and easily mountable CB antenna you can buy. The CB radio antenna best suits jeeps and crawlers. If you happen to get a CB radio listed here for jeeps and FireStik FL3-B, you are ready for an amazing time.
The bare hand’s tunable tip ensures easy tuning and betters performance. It is available in four different color variants. The red, black, white and blue variants give the antenna an elegant look.
High performance is ensured by the sleek coil design the CB antenna has. We would say that it is the best when it comes to reception and transmission of signals. The antenna comes from the most prestigious designs- Firefly from the Firestik brand.
2. WILSON 305-38
- 300 Watts Power Handling Capability
- Type: Whip base load antenna
- Large 10 oz magnet
- Heavy-Duty Coil
- 36″ 17-7 PH Stainless Steel
- Made with High Impact Thermoplastic.
- Low Loss Coil Design.
What do you look for in the best magnetic CB antenna? You need to have a strong magnet and a low loss coil design. This is precisely what you get by buying this Wilson CB antenna.
Coming to the coil design part, it has 14 gauge copper wire used for the heavy-duty coil. You will be more than happy using this CB antenna. Even if you drive around 90mph, it will not fail you. Such is the quality of the design Little Wil has. The 10 oz magnet coupled with high impact thermoplastic design offers all the features any CB enthusiast is looking for.
Tell you what, this is not the case with normal CB antennas. Even if you go beyond 70mph, normal antennas might blow off, but not Wilson 300-38,
K 40 K-30
- TAM power handling capability (ICAS)
- 15 feet pre-wired RG-58AU 95 percent shielded coax cable stranded
- 35 inches, 17-7 stainless steel whip antenna
- Dimensions : 37×4.3×5.9 inches.
The built-in quality of the antenna is good and there are extra shields in the form of 15 feet coax cable to prevent it from damage. The antenna cable comes with a PL259 connector. The 4 inches 10 ounces magnet is very strong and it won’t let your CB antenna to get damaged even driving at high speed. Moreover, the antenna is very flexible and that adds to its durability.
You can use this nice device for your pickup trucks or cars. But, we would recommend you to take due care while installing the device as there is a small chance it might cause some scratches on your vehicle.
- Easy to fix in your vehicle without making any alterations
- Good reception and transmission quality for distances around 4-5 miles
- Stainless steel is used which ensures durability
- The magnet can cause scratches
- Center Load Mag Mount Antenna
- 17-7 Stainless Steel Whip
- Compatible with all Midland Mobile CB Radios
- Prewired with Cable and Connector
- Type: Center Load Mag Mount Antenna
This Center Load Mag Mount Antenna is compatible with all Midland Mobile CB radios. If you have Midland 75-822, then this is the best choice for you.
The plastic-coated magnetic-based adheres to the surface of most of the vehicles and is rust free. The antenna is equipped with a relief spring which minimizes the whip damage, resulting in the durability of the product.
With a good CB radio, this one will help you to talk over 5 miles with the best configuration. However, we would advise you to give due care while handling the device. A small mistake or mishandling from your end might cause breaking of the coax cable, as it is a bit longer than as in normal CB antennas.
- Suitable for all Midland Mobile CB radios
- Strong magnetic that keeps the antenna intact
- Easy to assemble the part of the antenna
- The durability of the cables are worth mentioning
- The length of the antenna is more and it can create some difficulty to travel with it
- Includes 3.5″ magnet mount
- Shock spring
- Stainless steel whip
- 17ft RG58 cable with PL-259
- Great for all your needs
- 2 Feet Tall
- Centre Load CB Antenna
- Dimesnion: 15.5 x 4.2 x 1.5 inches
Tram 703-HC is a 2 feet CB antenna which could capture all the CB frequencies. Aided with the help of 3’’ magnet mount and the shock spring, this awesome CB antenna gives you a splendid result. It comes with a 9.5 feet cable with PL-259.
The greatest joy of using this magnetic CB antenna is that it can be configured with any CB radio. It is very easy to use and tune-up. With proper setup, you might even get the range up to 9 miles with this antenna.
- Decent and sleek design which gives the antenna a perfect look
- Strong magnet and spring
- Very easy to set up and tune
- Works with all CB Radios
- Loud and annoying wind noise
Cobra CBRHGA 1500
- It has the capability to handle 300-watt power
- Works with 26-30 MHz frequency range
- It has a SO 239 connector
- Base loaded medium Magnet Mout CB Antenna
- Comes with a black stainless steel whip and antenna
- Dimension: 38 x 4 x 4 inches
Coming from the prestigious Cobra brand, this base loaded magnetic CB antenna is the best one you can buy for hills and mountains. You will easily get good SWR readings without any adjustments. It is equipped with a 10 feet cable for better performance. Also, the stainless steel whip is rust-resistant.
You will very easily get ranges up to 6 miles even if you’re traveling at the 80s. It is easy to detach and connect it from your vehicle. If you’re not a frequent CB user, then you will love this antenna more.
- Good SWR and can holds even at 70mph
- Simple design and quality ensured parts
- A good antenna that ensures the best transmission and reception
- May not get a good result from the magnet installed.
- It is an omnidirectional fiberglass base station Cb antenna
- It has the capability to handle 200 watts PEP
- Fits for 10M-12M amateur use
- It could even tune to the lowest SWR reading
- Dimension of 78.7x 2.8x 2 inches
Without any doubt, Solarcon A-99 is the highest gain fiberglass antenna that is available on the market. This good looking smooth CB radio works with GPK -1 plane and could handle 2000 watts of power. Thanks to the strong heavy-duty base mount, it could withstand heavy winds.
The antenna is very easy to install. There’s no hassle in the installation part. You know what a fiberglass antenna can get you. What if when you buy the best Fiberglass antenna? It will give you the best range in all the direction. This is basically what you get by buying Solarcon A-99.
- A good antenna that ensures the quality of the signals
- Gives the best result with both SWR and Ham
- Easy to unmount and install
- Subject to wear and tear after exposing it to sunlight, heat, wind, rain, etc
How to Buy a CB Radio Antenna
Unlike the case of CB radios, CB antennas don’t have many options. You have a very limited number of choices here.
Bt that doesn’t make the selection process an easy one.
Here are some of the important factors you should check before purchasing a CB radio antenna:
Have a Clear Idea of Antenna’s Use
Why do you need a CB device? Is it just for fun or you want to use it for your profession?
These things have to be there in your mind before buying the CB antenna. This helps you to set your budget and most of all to set the quality of the CB radio antenna you are going to buy.
Remember, your antenna should be the one that best suits your vehicle and pocket.
Warranty Support and Quality
Since an antenna should be used for many years, do not go for the one that is cheap and lacks quality. But, the interesting thing is that even an expensive antenna may not be the best one that is available in the market.
It is advisable to better go for the best brands available in the market, keeping in mind that it should meet your demand. Here you will be badly in need of an expert in this field to choose the perfect antenna.
- Always choose an antenna with a strong magnetic base as it could be easily mounted on your vehicles. Also, a thermoplastic covering on the magnet will ensure its durability.
- The tunable tip in the antenna should be placed in a way that the user finds it very easy to tune. The presence of an SWR meter will ensure a better tuning.
- The reception and transmission of the signals should be hassle-free. Make sure that the antenna is wind resistant and is strong enough to withstand the adverse climatic conditions.
- Apart from the looks, the antenna should be handy, portable and small. Also, the SWR reading range should cover the least to the maximum.
- It is always better to go through the specifications, reviews from reliable sources and to consult technical wizards before you choose one.
Buy for Your Vehicle
The type of CB antenna for various vehicles is completely different.
Take the case of cars, Magnets roof or trunk antennas are more suitable to perform the purpose. But fiberglass top-loaded antennas are mostly preferred in pick-up trucks. In the semi-trucks, fiberglass top-loaded antennas and center- loaded steel whip antennas are used, whereas in RVs and Motor Homes, No ground plane top-loaded fiberglass antennas are mostly used.
FireStik FL3-B best suits small vehicles like jeeps and crawlers. Since it weighs less, it could be easily mounted on small vehicles. But the tunable tip is delicate when compared to many others. Also, it is narrow banded and cannot be relied on for heavy tasks.
But take the case of WILSON 305-38. It gives you better performance as it suits ordinary and heavy tasks. It also handles 300 watts power and good magnet and copper wire is used. Also, high-quality stainless steel whip is used to ensure better performance.
Dual or Single Set up?
This is another question most of the drivers have in mind- dual CB antenna set up or a single antenna.
I’m sure some of you might have already planned to go with dual set up, thinking it might give you better range. That’s not entirely true. Your decision depends on a lot of parameters.
In majority of the cases, single CB antennas are more than enough. For trailers and cargos, you can go with dual CBs. More details on this can be found here: Dual CB antenna kit for Trucks
It’s not a secret that you definitely need the best CB radio antenna to get the best out of your CB radio. This is the part where amateur CB radio users fail and experienced ones excel. The later knows the importance of a high performing CB radio antenna.
I hope our review of the top-rated CB radio antenna on the market has helped in narrowing your options. You can buy among the 7 listed above to get the perfect results with your CB radio.
So rush to the market, grab your CB antenna and enjoy the benefits of it.
Thank you CB Radio Guru for giving me this opportunity!
Latest posts by Wayne (see all)
- Best Car CB Radio and Antenna : Reviews and Recommendations - July 22, 2019
- Bluetooth CB Radio Reviews 2019 : Recommendations & Tips - May 14, 2019
- Best Magnetic CB Antenna Reviews of 2019 - May 9, 2019