Last Updated on by
Your CB system can be useless if it fails to give you even 2 miles range. In most of such scenarios, the missing link is a long-range CB antenna. Yeah, a CB radio antenna can be the real game-changer sometimes.
What this means is that you should get the best CB antenna that works for your CB set up.
Before we go further, you should know that even the most powerful CB radios can’t give you a better range without a good CB antenna.
If you’re in the pursuit of an antenna for your CB radio, keep reading. This article is for you!
If you don’t have much time, here goes our top picks:
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Long Range CB Radio Antennas
- 2 Why Should You get a Good CB Antenna
- 3 7 Best CB Antenna Reviews 2019
- 3.1 #1. FireStik FL3-B: Best in the Market
- 3.2 #2. WILSON 305-38(Little Wil): Easiest to Install CB Antenna
- 3.3 #3. K 40 K-30: Amazing Option for Pickup Trucks
- 3.4 #4. Midland 18-2442: Most Affordable CB Antenna
- 3.5 #5. TRAM 703-HC
- 3.6 #6. Cobra CBRHGA 1500: Best Antenna for Hilly Areas
- 3.7 #7. Solarcon A-99: Best Omnidirectional CB Radio Antenna
- 4 How to Buy a Good CB Radio Antenna
- 5 FAQ
- 6 Conclusion
Top Long Range CB Radio Antennas
|1||FireStik FL3-B:Best in the Market|
Best suited to your off-road jeeps and trucks, Firestik FL3-B is a great buy for its top-notch performance and durability.
|2||WILSON 305-38: Easiest to Install|
Don’t worry about smashing this CB radio into tree branches or over bags, it will still be your best friend. This high performing and long-range CB antenna are designed to last long. It’s a great little antenna to improve your CB communication
|3||K40 K30: Best for Pickup Trucks|
K 40 K-30 is a highly flexible CB antenna that is best suited for pickup trucks. If you’re good at tuning your device and who are looking for a CB to withstand your offroad speedy trucking, then this is the antenna you should buy.
|4||Midland 18-2442: Best for SUVs and Cars|
Easy to install, this strong magnet base CB antenna works great for SUVs and cars. This is the perfect CB radio antenna you can buy for Midland CBs.
|5||TRAM 703-HC: Best for Off Road Use|
Designed for all kinds of CB radios, TRAM 703-HC is a nice CB radio antenna to buy for off-road drives to maximize your communication efficiency.
|6||Cobra CBRHGA 1500: Best for Hilly Areas|
This Cobra CB antenna is one of the best you can buy for hills and mountains. Designed to be the best companion for jeeps and SUVs, this 36″ antenna delivers good SWR rating even at 80 mph.
|7||Solarcon A-99: Best Omni directional|
Solarcon A-99 is for those who’re looking for the best reception and transmission in all directions. This fiberglass antenna is easy to set up and install and offers the very best range you can think of.
Why Should You get a Good CB Antenna
1. Better Reception and Transmission of Signals
A CB radio antenna basically does two functions:
- Converts the radio frequency signals to electrical signals
- receiving end, it converts electrical signals to radio frequency signals. This is done with the help of a receiver and transmitter. In such a situation, the best quality radio frequency signals are produced only when the length of the antenna and the wavelength of the transmitted signals get accurately matched.
CB antennas could be fixed or mounted on the basis of the nature of the vehicle.
Sticking on to the very basics of the usage of the radio, it is best to use an antenna to enhance the reception and transmission of the radio signals. Without an antenna, there are more chances to destroy the output.
2. Protection of CB Radio
Many of you might not know this; CB antennas protect CB radios from damages.
Therefore, before setting up an SWR (Standing Wave Ratio), every CB radio user should ensure the condition of the CB antenna. A defective antenna not only hinders smooth communication but also destroys the CB radio.
You should also pay the utmost care when a new antenna is purchased and installed.
3. Best quality CB radios are stronger and are best for off-road drives.
7 Best CB Antenna Reviews 2019
Now that we have seen why it is very important to have a high-performance CB antenna, let us find which are the best ones in the market.
We have tested the quality and performance of each CB antennas to come up with this list.
I am sure that our recommendation of the top CB antennas will help both experienced and non-experienced users to select a highly performing CB antenna that suits their need.
Let’s dive in:
#1. FireStik FL3-B: Best in the Market
There is no other CB antenna other than FireStik FL3-B to give the boost your CB radio needs. This lightweight antenna is very easy to mount and I am sure that you will enjoy every second of using it.
The CB radio antenna best suits jeeps and crawlers. With one of the best CB radios for jeep and this FireStik FL3-B, you are ready for an amazing time.
I am sure that the features of this fantastic antenna will amaze you. Here it goes:
- Dimension: 38 x 6 x 6 inches
- Length: 3 Foot (92cm)
- 5/8 wave Rated @ 100 watts
- Material Fiberglass
The bare hand’s tunable tip ensures easy tuning and betters performance. It is available in four different color variants. The red, black, white and blue variants give the antenna an elegant look.
High performance is ensured by the sleek coil design the CB antenna has. You don’t have to worry a bit about the transmission and reception with this Firestik CB mounted to your vehicle. The antenna comes from the most prestigious designs- Firefly from the Firestik brand.
#2. WILSON 305-38(Little Wil): Easiest to Install CB Antenna
Known as Little Wil, Wilson 305-38 is the best magnetic CB antenna in the market. The antenna gives exactly what you are looking for in a magnetic antenna- a strong magnet base and a low loss coil design.
The 14″ gauge heavy-duty copper coil and stainless steel construction ensure the antenna lasts longer. The 10 oz magnet coupled with high impact thermoplastic design offers all the features any CB enthusiast is looking for.
Wilson has provided a rubber case at the base so that there won’t be any scratches when you mount the CB antenna on your vehicle.
Tell you what, this is not the case with normal CB antennas. Even if you go beyond 70mph, normal antennas might blow off, but not Wilson 300-38. Yeah, this little beast offers you amazing designing quality.
Here are its features:
- 300 Watts Power Handling Capability
- Large 10 oz magnet
- Heavy-Duty Coil
- 36″ 17-7 PH Stainless Steel
- Made with High Impact Thermoplastic.
- Low Loss Coil Design.
#3. K 40 K-30: Amazing Option for Pickup Trucks
K40 K30 is another magnetic mount CB antenna on our list. It’s one of the most affordable option you have in CB antennas. The built-in quality of the antenna is high-grade and there are extra shields in the form of 15 feet coax cable to prevent it from damage. The antenna cable comes with a PL259 connector.
The 4 inches 10 ounces magnet is very strong and it won’t let your CB antenna to get damaged even driving at high speed. Moreover, the antenna is very flexible and that adds to its durability. But, we would recommend you to take due care while installing the device as there is a small chance it might cause some scratches on your vehicle.
Here is a quick overview of its specifications:
- TAM power handling capability (ICAS)
- 15 feet pre-wired RG-58AU 95 percent shielded coax cable stranded
- 35 inches, 17-7 stainless steel whip antenna
- Dimensions: 37×4.3×5.9 inches.
If you are looking for a CB radio antenna that sticks to your vehicle, then K40 K30 is what you should buy. It is one of the best you can get for trucks, as most people don’t mind getting a few scratches on your vehicle.
#4. Midland 18-2442: Most Affordable CB Antenna
This Center Load Mag Mount Antenna is compatible with all Midland Mobile CB radios. If you have Midland 75-822, then you got the best compatible CB antenna for it. Midland 18-2442 is a center load mag mount antenna and here are it’s other features:
- 17-7 Stainless Steel Whip
- Compatible with all Midland Mobile CB Radios
- Prewired with Cable and Connector
- Type: Center Load Mag Mount Antenna
The plastic-coated magnetic-based adheres to the surface of most of the vehicles and is rust free. The antenna is equipped with a relief spring which minimizes the whip damage, resulting in the durability of the antenna. Another noteworthy feature is that it’s rust-free. You can mount it on your car or jeep without the fear of the vehicle getting corroded.
The antenna gives a commendable performance. If you have a good CB antenna, you can easily talk over 5 miles. However, we would advise you to give due care while handling the device. A small mistake or mishandling from your end might cause breaking of the coax cable, as it is a bit longer than as in normal CB antennas.
#5. TRAM 703-HC
Tram 703-HC is a 2 feet CB antenna that could capture all the CB frequencies. Aided with the help of 3’’ magnet mount and the shock spring, this awesome CB antenna gives you a splendid result. It comes with a 9.5 feet cable with PL-259.
The greatest joy of using this magnetic CB antenna is that it can be configured with any CB radio. It is very easy to use and tune-up. With proper setup, you might even get the range up to 9 miles with this antenna.
Here are the features:
- Includes 3.5″ magnet mount
- Shock spring
- Stainless steel whip
- 17ft RG58 cable with PL-259
- Great for all your needs
- 2 Feet Tall
- Centre Load CB Antenna
- Dimesnion: 15.5 x 4.2 x 1.5 inches
#6. Cobra CBRHGA 1500: Best Antenna for Hilly Areas
This Cobra CB antenna comes with a nice array of specs, including the following:
- It has the capability to handle 300-watt power
- Works with 26-30 MHz frequency range
- It has a SO 239 connector
- Base loaded medium Magnet Mout CB Antenna
- Comes with a black stainless steel whip and antenna
- Dimension: 38 x 4 x 4 inches
Coming from the prestigious Cobra brand, this base loaded magnetic CB antenna is the best one you can buy for hills and mountains. You will easily get good SWR readings without any adjustments. It is equipped with a 10 feet cable for better performance. Also, the stainless steel whip is rust-resistant.
You will very easily get ranges up to 6 miles even if you’re traveling at the 80s. It is easy to detach and connect it from your vehicle. If you’re not a frequent CB user, then this is is an amazing option to kickstart your CB journey.
#7. Solarcon A-99: Best Omnidirectional CB Radio Antenna
Without any doubt, Solarcon A-99 is the highest gain fiberglass CB antenna that is available on the market. The good looking smooth antenna works with GPK -1 plane and could handle 2000 watts of power. Thanks to the strong heavy-duty base mount, it could withstand heavy winds too. This CB antenna is designed for truckers who frequently travel long distances.
Although it’s a solid CB antenna, you will not find any hassles in installing Solarcon A-99. It is very easy to install. You know what a fiberglass antenna can get you.
Specifications of this CB antenna are:
- It is an omnidirectional fiberglass base station Cb antenna
- It has the capability to handle 200 watts PEP
- Fits for 10M-12M amateur use
- It could even tune to the lowest SWR reading
- Dimension of 78.7x 2.8x 2 inches
How to Buy a Good CB Radio Antenna
Here are some of the important stuff you should focus on before buying a CB antenna.
Have a Clear Idea of Antenna’s Use
I have to tell you that this is the most critical step in buying an antenna for your CB radio. You should ask yourselves these questions:
- Why do you need a CB device?
- Is it just for fun or you want to use it for your profession?
Having a concrete idea on this will help you to set your budget and most of all to set the quality of the CB radio antenna you are going to buy.
Remember, your antenna should be the one that best suits your vehicle and pocket.
If you are just starting out with CB systems, get a magnetic antenna which is very easy to install and use. On the other hand, serious CBers should try to get a Fiberglass CB antenna to maximize the performance.
Warranty Support and Quality
We all know this; CB antenna is the single most component that is exposed outside of your vehicle. The speed, vegetation, weather conditions, etc. have a great role in deciding its life.
There is a very high chance that your CB antenna fails if you don’t buy a quality one. This is precisely why you should read an article like ours.. 🙂
Anyway, some of the best brands in the market offer warranty and support for up to two years. Getting one from these brands is the wisest way to ensure a long life for the CB antenna you buy.
Buy a CB Antenna that suits Your Vehicle
You can’t buy any CB antenna and expect it will do a great deal for your vehicle. You should try to get that antenna that is compatible with your car, truck or jeep.
- Take the case of cars, Magnets roof or trunk antennas are more suitable to perform the purpose. But fiberglass top-loaded antennas are mostly preferred in pick-up trucks.
- In the semi-trucks, fiberglass top-loaded antennas and center- loaded steel whip antennas are used, whereas in RVs and Motor Homes, No ground plane top-loaded fiberglass antennas are mostly used.
- FireStik FL3-B best suits small vehicles like jeeps and crawlers. Since it weighs less, it could be easily mounted on small vehicles. But the tunable tip is delicate when compared to many others. Also, it is narrow banded and cannot be relied on for heavy tasks.
- But take the case of WILSON 305-38. It gives you better performance as it suits ordinary and heavy tasks. It also handles 300 watts power and a good magnet and copper wire is used. Also, a high-quality stainless steel whip is used to ensure better performance.
Dual or Single Set up?
This is another question most of the drivers have in mind- dual CB antenna set up or a single antenna.
I’m sure some of you might have already planned to go with dual set up, thinking it might give you a better range. That’s not entirely true. Your decision depends on a lot of parameters.
In the majority of the cases, single CB antennas are more than enough. For trailers and cargos, you can go with dual CBs. More details on this can be found here: Dual CB antenna kit for Trucks
Other Points to Focus
- If you are purchasing a magnetic CB antenna, always choose an antenna with a strong magnetic base as it could be easily mounted on your vehicles. Also, a thermoplastic covering on the magnet will ensure its durability.
- The tunable tip in the antenna should be placed in a way that the user finds it very easy to tune. Having an SWR meter handy will help you easily tune your antenna. Here are our recommendations for the best SWR meters for CB radios.
- The reception and transmission of the signals should be hassle-free. Make sure that the antenna is wind resistant and is strong enough to withstand the adverse climatic conditions.
- Apart from the looks, the antenna should be handy, portable and small. Also, the SWR reading range should cover the least to the maximum.
- It is always better to go through the specifications, reviews from reliable sources and consult technical wizards before you choose one.
Is a longer CB antenna better?
Yeah, having a longer CB antenna is always better. The most optimal length should be 8.5 feet. Of course, it is practically impossible to install an antenna of this size. However, antennas are available in coil designs that effectively give approximately this much length.
Do you have to ground a CB antenna?
Yes, you should ground your CB antenna/mount. If not you might get high SWR and it will be impossible to tune your CB antenna properly.
Will a CB work without an antenna?
Yeah, you will always need a compatible CB antenna to make your CB functional.
Where to buy CB antenna?
You can buy amazing CB antenna from CB shops near you or any of the online stores like Amazon, eBay, BestBuy, etc.
It’s not a secret that you definitely need the best CB radio antenna to get the best out of your CB radio. This is the part where amateur CB radio users fail and experienced ones excel. The later knows the importance of a high performing CB radio antenna.
I hope our review of the top-rated CB radio antenna on the market has helped in narrowing your options. You can buy among the 7 listed above to get the perfect results with your CB radio.
So rush to the market, grab your CB antenna and enjoy the benefits of it.